Expedia offers Worldwide maps in an
easy to use format with places of interest noted. Maps from the Expedia web site can be imported into the TeleType GPS software, providing even greater flexibility and functionality. Follow these easy steps to load an Expedia map of any part of the world.
1. Select either Worldwide Place Finder or, for U.S. addresses, Find Address, from the Microsoft Expedia site (http://maps.expedia.com). When you have located the map of the desired area, you can zoom in or out for the best mix of viewing detail and map area.
Once an Expedia map has been selected, do not move the
map (in any direction) as the geo-coding will not be
updated and will therefore reflect only the first
rendition of the map. If you pan the map to the
left, right, up, or down, the map will no longer be
accurately placed inside the TeleType GPS program.
2. Select the "Printable Map" version of the map you wish to use.
3. Save the map on your computer as a .bmp file. To do this using Internet Explorer or Netscape, click on the map with the right mouse button. (If you are unable to save in bmp format, then your browser may need to be configured differently.)
An alternative method is to save the map it in another format and convert it to bmp using a graphics utility such as PaintShop Pro or Photoshop.
4. In the File menu, select Save As, and save this file using the file description HTML Only (.htm). This stores the information required by TeleType GPS to interpret the map you just saved. Save this file with a name that matches your bmp file. For example, if you downloaded a map of the city of London, you might save the graphic image as london.bmp and save the source file of the map as HTML Only, in a file called london.htm.
5. Create a folder called London (following our example) anywhere on the handheld PC. Place both the bmp and the htm files into that folder. Or, if you prefer, you can create the folder on the desktop computer instead, place the files, and copy the entire folder to any location on the handheld PC.
In the TeleType GPS software, select Load Map from the File menu. Set the file type as Bitmap (either .bmp or 2bp). Select the bmp file to load. The Expedia map will appear on your navigation screen when you zoom in sufficiently.
Why can't I get
Microsoft's Expedia maps to work with TeleType
Be sure to save the source file as text only but give
the file name with the extension .htm. In other words,
assuming that the map name is Melbourne.bmp the source
file should be called Melbourne.htm (saved as a text
file). See the TeleType GPS user manual for details on
how to save the map image.